If you've got a baby on the way, quit smoking today. Read more
- Choosing the right service - using your NHS wisely
- Medicines waste - Don't use it? Don't order it.
- Buying your own medicines
- Online services for patients
- Children's health
- GP services
- Heart health
- Hospital services
- Learning disabilities
- Managing your own health
- Maternal health
- Mental health
- Men's health
- Patient support line
- Ramadan health
- Urgent and emergency care
- Summer health
- Winter health
- Women's health
Online services for patients
Did you know that you can book your GP appointments and request your repeat prescriptions online?
If you are registered with a GP surgery, you can request online access to manage your appointments and repeat prescriptions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. It doesn't matter if your GP practice is open or closed, and it can often be more convenient than a phone call or travelling to your GP practice.
How to get access to online services
To be able to book your GP appointments and request your repeat prescriptions, you will need to ask your GP practice for a username and password for SystmOnline. SystmOnline is a free of charge service that you can use on your computer and / or download as an app for your smartphone or tablet device.
All you need to do is take a form of identification with you next time you're at your GP practice. This includes your passport, driving licence or birth certificate.
You can also request access to online services on behalf of somebody you care for, just ask your GP practice for more information.
Why should I request access to online services?
- save yourself a phone call - logging online to book an appointment takes just a minute.
- it's easier to order your repeat prescriptions - you don't need to make a journey to your GP practice or wait on the phone, you can see which repeat prescriptions need to be ordered and only order the ones that you need.
- it's more convenient for you - online services are available 24/7, every day of the year so you don't need to wait until your GP practice is open.
- you can also update your personal details - including telephone numbers and email addresses to make sure that you receive reminders and information from your practice.
More information about patient online services can be found on the NHS Choices website.
There are also lots of information videos about patient online services available on the NHS England YouTube channel.