This story from Better Start Bradford is brilliant. Read more
- Choosing the right service - using your NHS wisely
- Medicines waste - Don't use it? Don't order it.
- Buying your own medicines
- Online services for patients
- Children's health
- GP services
- Heart health
- Hospital services
- Learning disabilities
- Managing your own health
- Maternal health
- Mental health
- Men's health
- Patient support line
- Ramadan health
- Urgent and emergency care
- Summer health
- Winter health
- Women's health
One in every four people living in our area will experience a mental health problem during their lifetime. Mental health should be treated with the same importance as physical health and there's a wide range of services and support available to people in Bradford.
Across Bradford District and Craven we have developed a mental health crisis care concordat which focuses on:
- access to support before crisis point – so if you are living with a mental health problem, you can get help 24/7, and when you ask for help are taken seriously,
- urgent and emergency access to crisis care - making sure that a mental health emergency is treated with the same urgency as a physical health emergency,
- quality of treatment and care when in crisis - making sure that you are treated with dignity and respect,
- recovery and staying well - preventing future crises by referring you to appropriate services.
First Response is a 24 hours a day, 7 day a week service open to all people of all ages living in Bradford, Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven who are experiencing a mental health crisis.
You can call First Response 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on: 01274 221181.
Where possible, the person who is experiencing the crisis should contact First Response. However, we understand this is not always possible so if you are concerned about the wellbeing of someone you know you can contact the service. You do not have to have used or be using any mental health service to contact First Response.
When you call First Response, an experienced telecoach will provide guidance to help you manage the situation and your feelings. They may decide that you need urgent support and in this case a member of the First Response team will visit you wherever you are in your time of crisis.
You can also keep with you a handy First Response leaflet.
Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust runs the service, working with local partners, and more details are available on their website.
The Sanctuary at Mind
The Sanctuary in Bradford is a calm, safe space for adults experiencing mental distress.
The Sanctuary is open every day from 6am to 1am and is located at Mind, Tradeforce Building, Cornwall Place, Bradford, BD8 7JT.
Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)
Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services are for people over the age of 16 years who have mild to moderate mental health issues. In Bradford, IAPT services are provided by Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust.
To access the IAPT service, you will need to speak to your GP or health professional for further information.
Further support and information
- Mental health foundation
- Mental health first aid
- Mind in Bradford
- Time to Change
- Young Minds
- Thrive Bradford
- Talk to Frank
- Counselling Directory